I know so many people that stress out over cooking fish, but I promise you, it is one of the easiest things to cook once you get the hang out it. Here is a step by step guide to perfect fish EVERY TIME!!
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Make sure that your fish is at room temperature and completely dry (extract any moisture with a paper towel)
- Take an oven safe frying pan (no rubber handles!) and heat up 2 TBS of olive oil on medium until it is slightly smokey
- Either season (salt & pepper) your fish or go the Julia Child route and season the pan on top of the oil
- Once you see a bit of smoke, place the fish presentation side down in the pan
- After about a minute or two, gently shake the pan - dry fish + smoking hot pan = a sexy sear that should not stick to the pan - I like the shake just to make sure it's not sticking before flipping
- Your nice golden sear should take about 3 min ( I always give it a look) before I flip
- Flip fish with a spatula (if you are cooking cod, tilapia, or any other flakey, delicate fish, I highly recommend buying a fish spatula) It looks like this:
You can buy one here.
- Once you have turned the fish, "finish it off in the oven
- Depending on the thickness of the fish, you should allow it to cook in the oven for about 3-4 minutes
- Take the fish out of the oven and gently squeeze the sides of the meat to check and see if it's done, if it feels soggy or too soft, it needs a few more minutes in the oven
- Always, always finish it off with some fresh lemon/lime/grapefruit juice or something acidic! Dig in!