Thursday, April 28, 2011

Creme Fraiche



I am in love with fatty dairy products. Creme fraiche is a great substitute for sour cream and it's much more tangy and delicious when it's made fresh.

Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
2 TBS buttermilk

Optional:
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
2 tsp salt

Combine the cream and buttermilk



Give it a quick whisk



Pour into a clean jar and cover



Throw into a dark cabinet or pantry and let it work it's magic for 24 hours



After a night in the cabinet, give the cream a quick stir. Voila! Insanely addictive fresh cream.



Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before consuming. Should last at least 2 weeks in the cooler.

I like to add salt and lemon to the finished creme, b/c it lifts the flavor and prolongs the shelf life.

I love creme fraiche in scrambled eggs, but you can put it on just about anything. It can also be used as a sauce.

3 comments:

  1. Girl... I dipped my pizza in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom taught me the beauty of using it in scrambled eggs when I was a kid. Didn't know anybody else did that.

    ReplyDelete