Thursday, May 19, 2011

Avocado Pico



Oh for the love of pico! I love fresh salsas...maybe it's because I'm from Texas, or maybe it's because everyone loves salsa. Doesn't matter.

This is my all time favorite pico recipe.

Ingredients:
4 vine-ripened tomatoes
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 medium or large red onion
4 limes
1 orange
3 small or 2 large avocados
Salt (to taste)

Cut out the core of the tomatoes and deseed.



Using your finest knife skills, cut tomatoes and onions into a small dice.



Not feeling the urge to cry like a newborn child when working with the onions?? Put a piece of bread in your mouth and suck on it. I am no Alton Brown, and cannot tell you how this works, it just does.



Wash your onions!!! Anytime you consume raw onions, they need a good rinse. When onions are cut, sulfurous compounds are released when your knife cuts through the cell walls. A little rinse cuts back on that bite and gives a more mellow taste.



Chop cilantro.



Combine ingredients and squeeze the lime and orange juice over the glory that is soon to be in your mouth.



Cut the avocados in a small dice, and combine.



Stir the ingredients together and add salt to taste. I am a salty girl, so I added about 3 TBS. Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, orange juice, why didn't I think of that myself?! Also, great tip with rinsing the onions. Thanks, Gigi :)

    ReplyDelete